Pass the Controller

Full Version: Technology: What should I buy? & Top tips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Don't think we have a thread for this yet - correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought it would be good to have somewhere to ask people about a new TV you're looking at etc.

The other reason is that I have just got a new laptop, the first one I've had since 2007, and I was wondering if people have any tips on using Windows machines these days. I use a Mac at work so my brain is slightly frazzled, but the new PC is an HP Envy with all the standard stuff you would expect.

In terms of my impressions so far, they are good. It's lighter than I thought it would be, and not too chunky considering it still has a CD drive and all the standard ports, card readers etc. The trackpad confused me a bit but I think I know what they were trying to do with it now, and I've tweaked some options in Control Panel so make the experience more similar to what I'm used to. Obviously the build quality isn't to the standard of the MacBook Pro I'm using generally, but in terms of performance I reckon it will be able to keep up and it can't be worse than my old laptop at this stage...

I'm thinking of getting back into that powerhouse of gaming that is Steam, but I have a lot of console games to catch up on right now. I have a soft spot for RTS and apart from XCOM, which hasn't made its way to the One yet, there hasn't been much to scratch that itch for a while.

So, there you have it in a nutshell. Any tips on how to make the most of this shiny new tech greatly appreciated.
Well XCOM isn't RTS anyway. 'Tis TBS. Wasteland 2 is coming to the One which is also TBS so there we go.

As for using a windows laptop, I would use Chrome for my browser, and install antivirus.
(03-28-2015, 08:16 AM)Max Wrote: [ -> ]and install antivirus.
You know I would seriously hope Jam is already aware of that bit Tongue
(03-28-2015, 08:16 AM)Max Wrote: [ -> ]Well XCOM isn't RTS anyway. 'Tis TBS. Wasteland 2 is coming to the One which is also TBS so there we go.

As for using a windows laptop, I would use Chrome for my browser, and install antivirus.

You are quite right, my terminology is all wrong there, I meant more in the strategy game genre that's the closest thing I've played on consoles of late.

I've got Chrome and AVG so I'm set up there, just trying to persuade Steam that I am in fact who I say I am so I can access my ancient account.
Wasteland 2 is using XCOM as their inspiration for their console port.

Total war is always a good RTS, civilisation is supposed to be good but I can't work out how to play it. Get SimCity - it's brilliant and cheap and bug free now.
If you like XCOM Mr Jam, i very much suggest you look at the Banner Saga.

Civilisation is also brilliant (it's a 4X game though), i'm not sure why bezza-face finds it so hard as it's one of the easier strategy games to get into i'd have thought - but then i have been playing it since the first Civ which was back in the early 90s!

'This war of mine' and 'The Talos Principle' are the current PC games i'm gushing about.
I play it and nothing happens! The dudes walk over to stuff... then there's like 50 options and the research for about 50 years and all the while I'm like... hmm? Among the multitude of other games I have on the go it always goes to the bottom of the pile.
I think it's safe to say you should never run for parliament…

Actually, having thought about those running the country it sounds like you'd be perfect?

The idea is you start as cavemen, build cities, an economy, wonders of the world - and smash to pieces all of the other civilisations who dare roam the earth…! You can be nice to people too, but nah, forget it. I'll never forgive Caesar for the way he stabbed me in the back, but he pales in comparison to Gandhi, the sneaky bastard!

I dont think you play 360 any more but Civ Revolution was a good way to get into the series, it was a simplified - but still very good - version. If you have an ipad/android tablet you can still get it (but it's not as good as the 360 version). Some of us can play the full Civ 5 on our tablet too donch'a know! Wink
We should start our own political party. We'd be awesome.
(04-01-2015, 03:54 PM)PTC Hetty Wrote: [ -> ]We should start our own political party. We'd be awesome.

The political landscape wouldn't be able to cope, by comparison we'd talk far too much sense.

I will take a look at those, need to put the PC through its gaming paces. Still trying to reset my bloody Steam password at the moment. Valve do like to take their time...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19