Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Oculus
Well, it is $599 or £499 but still you have to pay shipping. fair to say don't care now, will come back when it is sub£400 at earliest but probably sub £300 tbh.
It's going to fail harder than Kinect. At least Kinect seemed like a good idea at the time and didn't cost a ridiculous amount of money. Also Kinect doesn't make you throw up from motion sickness after using it for ten minutes.
GameFAQs users are 80% trolls and 19% stupid. - hyjinx17
Was always going to be this price, couldn't believe people thought it would be cheaper. Just wait and see Morpheus cost the same as another PS4 and probably more, and that is going to bomb even harder than rift! VR makes me wildly ill having tried dk1 and 2 of rift, it is absolutely awful. Hololens will wipe the floor with VR as it doesn't take you out of the real world and doesn't make you spew everywhere after ten minutes (I have thrown up off rift a couple of times at my mate rather embarrassingly, but he has a few times also!)
Gamesradar did an article on it, comparing it to the likes of Betamax, the 3DO and Laser Disc. Sure the price point is fair for what it is, but given how many entertainment options exist at lower price points your starter audience is always going to be technophiles with a large disposable income. Time will tell if this niche audience can keep them going until they can afford to drop the price.
[Image: 526014e4e832797f.png]

Every time Rei smiles God kills a kitten.
Was speaking to a friend of mine who works at Ubisoft in Newcastle, and he said that apparently Microsoft already have a VR headset made, designed and sent to developers. He said he has used it personally! Not sure if he's just being an ass, but apparently Microsoft are waiting to see if its worth releasing or not based on rift etc. Could be utter rubbish, but thought I would mention it none the less. Its not even price for me that is the putting off, its 2 simple things. 1 - It will make you ill, Ive used it, trust me it does. And its the majority of people who have issues not the minority. 2 - You look like a total twat wearing it and it is probably the least sociable thing I have ever done in my life. You cannot game with friends, you cannot do anything while using it, you can play the game and that is it. You cant get a drink, check ur phone, turn ur tv down, anything without taking it off. Teenagers who lives in their parents basements then great, but for normal people with friends, wifes, kids etc - It is completely useless
(01-07-2016, 12:28 PM)bongmaster00 Wrote: it is probably the least sociable thing I have ever done in my life. You cannot game with friends, you cannot do anything while using it, you can play the game and that is it. You cant get a drink, check ur phone, turn ur tv down, anything without taking it off. Teenagers who lives in their parents  basements then great, but for normal people with friends, wifes, kids etc - It is completely useless

That's kind of the point, though; total immersion and no distractions from the outside world. You are that character, you are in that world. Obviously it isn't for everyone, but I don't think it counts as a negative.

I've never used VR myself, whether or not I'd be interested would depend on how a demo went.
Well it works, not perfectly, but it works. But it is only good for games you sit down. EVE etc are brilliant, games where you sit in a cockpit, its really fun. But playing games where you need to walk around or move from the spot, i'm afraid it just doesn't work. Your brain knows you are not moving, but you are in the game - It just doesn't feel immersive or like you are "In the game" at all. It does when you are playing games where you sit still, its very immersive, but for anything else its really poor and doesn't feel like you are in the game at all.
My opinion has changed slightly based on yesterday but still think it is a little expensive. sure one can liken it to a TV/Screen but I can get a half decent 4K screen for £500 so it to me is not a great comparison. will definitely get it at some point but not at launch. The biggest issue is that most people, including myself, have never used modern day VR so it appears more of a gimik like Kinect, than what will probably become the norm in 10 years for gaming.

Very interesting about the potential Microsoft VR, surprising in a sense considering the HoloLens is kinda what they are pushing but then not that surprising if you think about what will be the future of proper gaming. if it it a real thing I would expect within a year it to be announced. maybe the next xbox will be hardware which purely supports VR?

out of curiosity what does Ubi Newcastle do? didn't know they had a studio there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft_Reflections

That's the Newcastle studio.
Xbox - captainhetty Friend Code 4141-6343-5085
PSN - captain_hetty Twitter - @PootPlaysGames
Instagram - emily_pootle

It'd make Microsoft's partnership with Oculus (the Rift will be somewhat compatible with Xbox One and comes with an Xbox One controller) a little redundant if they release their own.